An Oklahoma woman had her arms and legs surgically amputated to keep a bacterial infection from reaching her internal organs.
Time Was Tick-Ing: Jo Rogers knew something was wrong just a few days after she’d been bitten. She had a headache, fever, and sever stomach cramps. Shortly thereafter, her arms and legs were in extreme pain and started turning blue. Her blood was poisoned.
 
Test Results… finally revealed that Rogers had contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite. Doctors continued to perform surgery removing parts of limbs to save her life from the spread of the disease. It was one of the worst ever.
Although bites are not uncommon, it is rare to contract RMSF. Rogers, although left a quadriplegic, is grateful to be alive and watch her young sons grow up.