How do we find the perfect work/life balance? This is a question we have all asked ourselves but many of us don’t sit down and plan the solution? If you are an entrepreneur, this is an essential undertaking to keep your family, sanity, and productivity all in check. How do we manage and achieve it all? Following some essential steps, it’s possible to navigate a business in a positive direction, while keeping life organized and in a state of equilibrium.
TIME MANAGEMENT IS KEY
Managing a business may seem as simple as a business plan, achievable goals, and deadlines, but what happens when there is an entire team to manage? Tracked communication is a great way to open up conversations amongst a group, in a time efficient manner. Examples of websites which accomplish this include: www.asana.com , www.trello.com www.monday.com. They help specifically project manage either an individual or a team by documenting workload, schedules, and assignments. Using a tool like these sites allows the team to visualize their work day each morning, so attainable results are achieved by the end of the day.
Staff also now have the advantage of viewing their personal goals and timeframes, while also interacting with the other team members. Many of these websites have a free version or trial, which makes it easy to explore. The following points, will not only help in the work place, but with life in general too:
- Invest in a project management app/website and populate it with weekly/monthly team targets
- Set realistic daily deadlines, with accomplished tasks ticked off from the previous day. There’s a motivational satisfaction when jobs are crossed off and the team will see results.
- Management should not overstretch their staff. There are only so many hours in a day.
- False promises should not be made to clients.
- Smaller tasks should be outsourced. A Website like peopleperhour.com is a convenient resource.
- If a deadline looming, switching off email for a period of time can help prevent distractions.
- Get away from the desk. If high speed wifi is available, almost anywhere can become an office, where work can be accomplished while sipping that latte.
Trying to please everyone can be mentally and physically exhausting. Set limits and don’t be afraid to say no. It is proven that a work-life balance leads to higher levels of productivity. It is possible to achieve results without compromising happiness:
- Carve out time everyday for friends or family, no matter how hectic life is. Happiness at home will project positively on to work place performance.
- All work and no play can lead to stress and a severe case of dull person syndrome. Switch off the phone and partake in activities like exercise or hobbies.
- Weekly/monthly responsibilities at home should be shared, if possible, so they do not creep into work hours.
- Take time to be healthy. Eat right, sleep 6-8 hours, aim for some sort of activity each day, even if it’s just a walk.
We are all trying to succeed within a small space of time, and how we manage that time shapes our success and happiness. Self discipline and organization are tools that can help achieve that. LIVE TO WORK is so yesterday, the future is WORK TO LIVE. There may be a few hiccups along the way but with determination and focus work-life balance can be accomplished.
To learn more about work-life balance, check out GetThrive.com